Thursday, March 7, 2013

Swimming with Manatees



I've been thinking about my "bucket list"of items recently; more specifically, I want to swim with manatees -and also Dolphin - okay maybe not swim with them. More like go to Seaworld and sit on a dock and feed them & pet them on their noses. I think this is because I've watched too many episodes of Good Morning America's Sam Champion's Sea Rescue show. Perhaps because its much more entertaining to daydream about these wonderful moments than focus on reality.

Lately I've been PETed, MUGged & today I start my first round of chemo - Cytoxan + Adriamycin (also known in cancer circles as the "red devil").

I mean, who want to take drug named that?! I figure the one thing I have going for me is I am sure several old boyfriends probably called me the Red Devil on occasion so at least we are evenly matched.

I am not happy to have this disease, nor is anyone who has it. So what do I do?

I surround myself with amazing people who pray for me, who bring me meals or get take-out chinese to show up magically at my door, send me cards (some everyday), clean my house, offer to scoop my dog poop, check in on me constantly, drive me places when I can’t, offer their homes, offer to take my kids to kidventures, offer support to my mother and sisters, come over to keep me company or go to lunch with me, offer their friendship and love . . .

I consider myself the luckiest person in the world because I have kids that tell me they love me again and again and again, who offer me sweet kisses and melty hugs, who make me giggle when they tell me I'm "cray cray" becuase I'm acting too silly & "Um-barrassing"them, who want to help by making me luke-warm hot cocoa for a treat at night, who have mastered the art of a cup of tea & even know that I like milk in mine though they do not, who think its extra fun to tuck ME in at night if i am so tired i don't have the energy to tuck them in ...

I am grateful to have been blessed to have a family who loves me, even when l act like an idiot, who cry themselves to sleep at the thought of losing me & say, “I wish it were me,” and they mean it . . .

So I continue to thank God for my life just the way it is! I have had a good life, and I intend to live for many years to come. I plan on seeing my Girls grow up. I plan on kissing a manatee, I plan on going whitewater rafting again the minute! I am able, I plan on going to northern Michigan as much as I can to stuff my pockets with petosky stones from my Aunt's Secret beach and as many free samples from Cherry Republic as I can get!

In the meantime. Found a recipe you might enjoy-

Red Devil Cocktail

Ingredients
1 1/2 oz Southern Comfort
1 1/2 oz Vodka
2 oz Triple Sec
1 1/2 oz Peach Schnapps
1 1/2 oz Sloe Gin
2 oz Orange Juice
1 splash Grenadine
Best served in a Highball Glass.



No comments: