Monday, February 4, 2013

So long over-the-shoulder boulder holders

I realized yesterday that I can pack up all my bras - at least for the next year.
 
Since middle school (for most of us) we have had these accessories in varying shapes & sizes - modest & padded in our teens, sexy & lacy in our 20s, something designed by Victoria Secret in our 30s, & something to lift- shape- separate in our 40s that Jane Russell would have envied. Now I'm told to go buy tank tops- with no shelf bra. Don't know why it took me until yesterday evening for that revelation to set in.
 
I can't say I’ll miss my bras. Most of us talk about fantasies of going braless, to not be encumbered by wires, straps, etc. After Georgia was born I even gave serious consideration to just wearing my nursing bras for perpetuity b/c they were so soft, comfy, wire free -- kind of like those cotton big girl panties that are so seriously unattractive but so freaking comfortable. But I decided that for my personal self-esteem that I still needed to holster the sisters in something that was somewhat attractive. Now I’ve entered the next boobie phase in my life – Foobs.
 
Foobs are fake boobs to all you breast cancer neophytes. I am also giving serious consideration to just wearing shirts cut open to the navel (I mean, why not? It’s not like I will have any boobs to fall out). I get to pick out my foobs in about 6 weeks. I think I may get SEVERAL sizes so I have options for how I am feeling that day.
 
Until I get my foobs, I have my knitted knockers to wear while I heal. Yep, I didn’t stutter. I said knitted knockers. What in the world are they, you ask? Well people with knitting skills (NOT me) knit breast shaped prostheses for cancer patients:
 
All the knockers made by the Knitting Experience are donated by volunteers so they are completely free to survivors. They are very soft& light weight so they can be worn right away. And yep, I found another cancer freebie J
 
What really is the BEST about these is that they were a simple, easy tool to use in discussing my surgery with my girls. The girls could touch them, squeeze them, & they even tried them on J The set I got was 2 different shades of purple so they are not only non-threatening, they are fun! For Grace, this was a great way to broach what could have been a scary conversation. Grace was initially concerned & scared for me, but when I told her that I would ask the Doctor to make my scar in the shape of a smiley face (if possible) so we could then use a permanent marker to draw eyes on my chest, she giggled. Georgia liked that I would now “look like her,” & figured that they will just grow back. J They also told me I would look young without boobs. Who said that having cancer had no upside?
 
So don’t go braless tomorrow in honor of me (eek!); instead, enjoy all your pamcakes this week& know that I have been lifted up by all your kind words.
 
In honor of the bra, here is a yummy recipe I thought I would share:
 
Bacalhau a Bras (Portuguese Scrambled Eggs with Salt Cod and Potatoes)
Ingredients
1 pound dried salt cod
7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips (about 6 cups)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
8 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 head garlic
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
18 oil-cured black olives

 
Directions
1.        Rinse the fish and place it in a bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Chill overnight, changing the water several times.
2.       The next day, drain the fish and transfer to a large saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer until the fish flakes easily, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool. Flake the fish, discarding any bones.
3.       Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy, large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes in batches and saute until crisp and golden, about 7 minutes per batch. Transfer the potatoes to paper towels to drain.
4.       Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the same skillet. Add the onion and bay leaf and saute until golden, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the onion slices in the skillet. Mix in the fish and potatoes.
5.       Whisk the eggs, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl to blend.
6.       Add the egg mixture and 3 tablespoons of the parsley to the fish mixture in the skillet.
7.       Cook over medium heat until the eggs are softly set, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
8.       Transfer the eggs to a platter. Garnish with the olives and the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.    

1 comment:

Banana Pancakes said...

Foobs? Oh man! You are going to have to TOTALLY pat Gigi and Gracie down before they leave the house for school. You never know when the knitted knockers may show up at school! :)

Love you more than you and your foobs, knockers and flipples will ever know. If I could take this for you, you know I would... in second.

xo